Tribal Council of Standing Rock Sioux Tribe
The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe stands by its right to self-government as a sovereign nation, which includes taking a government-to-government stance with the states and federal government entities.
The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe operates under a constitution approved on April 24, 1959 by the Tribal Council of Standing Rock Sioux Tribe. The Tribal Council consists of a Chairman, Vice-Chairman, a Secretary and 14 council members, consisting of a member elected from each of the eight districts, and 6 at-large council elected by the tribe. Positions are elected by the tribal members and serve a term of four years. The Tribal Council Chairman provides leadership and administrative direction to the tribe.
The Tribal Council Chairman and Council serve a term of four years. Six of the fourteen additional Council members shall be residents of the Reservation without regard to residence in any district or state. Each of the remaining additional council members shall be a resident of the district from which his/she is elected. The At-large Council members are elected by the district people as whole.
Regular Tribal Council meetings are the first Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday of the month. Committee meetings are held the second week of the month. The last Monday of the month is for gaming and other tribal business.
The Tribal Council passes legislation, makes budgets, approves of financial transactions, and makes major decisions affecting the tribe including:
- Managing the tribe’s real property, including trust lands.
- Engaging in business ventures.
- Passing and enforcing ordinances to serve the general welfare of enrollees, the environment, and the public safety of reservation residents.
- Entering into Contracts for business and for government needs.
Tribal Council Members
- Janet Alkire, Chairwoman
- Frank Jamerson, Vice Chairman
- Susan Agard, Secretary
- Nola Taken Alive, At Large
- Charles Walker, At Large
- Avis Little Eagle, At Large
- Warren Hawk, At Large
- Jesse Mclaughlin, At Large
- Kory McLaughlin, At Large
- Wilberta Red Tomahawk, District Representative
- Sidney Bailey, Jr., District Representative
- Joe White Mountain, Jr., District Representative
- Paul Archambault, District Representative
- Delray Demery, District Representative
- John Pretty Bear, District Representative
- Jessica R. Porras, District Representative
- Jeff Cadotte, Sr., District Representative
- Nola Taken Alive
- Warren Hawk
- Paul Archambault
- Kory Mclaughlin
- Jeff Cadotte, Sr.
- Joe White Mountain Jr.
- Avis Little Eagle
- Charles Walker
- Susan Agard
- Jessica R. Porras
- Wilberta Red Tomahawk
- John Pretty Bear
- Sidney Bailey, Jr.
- Jesse Mclaughlin
- Delray Demery